“Our Vision is to be a strong, self-sufficient and healthy Nation of Larrakia people, participating fully in the wider economy of Darwin and the Northern Territory, where Larrakia language, law and culture is known, respected and valued by all members of that community”
Larrakia Nation Aboriginal Corporation (LNAC) a large, progressive and professional Aboriginal organisation with a dual purpose: It is the representative organisation for the Larrakia people, the traditional owners of Darwin and is also a major service provider for Aboriginal people in the region. With a staff of around 85, three quarters of whom are Aboriginal, we are one of the largest Aboriginal employers in the region.
History & Purpose
Larrakia Nation Aboriginal Corporation was set up in 1997 to represent the interests and further the aspirations of the eight Larrakia families, particularly with respect to Native Title. Administered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act, it is a dynamic, membership-based organisation, a major Aboriginal service delivery and business development organisation in the areas of community services, homelessness support, rangers and arts and culture.
In addition to our advocacy work on behalf of the Traditional Owners, we work in four areas:
- Community Services working with Aboriginal residents of Darwin,
- Outreach Services working with Aboriginal visitors to Darwin and homeless people, often known as “long-grassers”,
- Land and sea monitoring and management through our Ranger Program, and culture,
- Traditional knowledge and research activities through our Culture + Knowledge Unit.
You can read more information about our services here.
We are also involved in business development and all of our divisions have adopted a social enterprise approach. Currently, we generate about 40% of our own funding through commercial activities and the other 60% of our funding comes from government. We do not receive any royalty payments or core funding. You find out more about doing business with Larrakia Nation here.
Our purpose is to:
- protect Larrakia lands for Larrakia people, culture and country;
- promote Larrakia language, law and culture;
- secure the Larrakia Nation for the future, our children, our people and our Country; and
- alleviate social and economic disadvantage for Larrakia.
- to hold any titles to land
- to encourage partnerships and joint venture relationships with other parties interested in using the traditional country
- contribute to a process of reconciliation between Indigenous and non-indigenous people in Darwin
…are important to our cultural and social identity and include:
- the Larrakia Nation objectives, as per our constitution;
- the Larrakia identity as the foundation of the Larrakia Nation;
- the survival and responsiveness of Larrakia culture to the dynamics of colonisation, urbanisation and the growth of a thriving multicultural city;
- our role (past and present) in welcoming visitors onto our land and in our struggle for recognition of our land rights;
- recognition of our role as the host of this land through managing country, conducting ceremonial activities, welcoming and assisting visitors, coordinating activities on Larrakia country and educating visitors about Larrakia people, our land and our culture;
- being responsive to opportunities and change, while maintaining a commitment to Larrakia cultural integrity;
- a commitment to and a belief in the mutual benefit of services being accessible by all (not only Larrakia); and
- our position as an Indigenous role model in the areas of governance, program management and development.
We are proud of…
…our track record of delivering significant outcomes for private and public sector clients – primarily in the areas of:
- Land and sea management
- Indigenous community support
- Safety and support in our community
- Enhancing knowledge through training and research
- Inspiring through cultural creative expression
Like to know more? Contact us