Roque’s areas of expertise include:
- Welcome to Country speaker and didgeridoo performer
- Bush & Cultural Knowledge speaker
- Painting and sculpting workshop facilitation (painting, carving)
- Didgeridoo making & playing workshop facilitation
- Carving and string-making workshop facilitation
- String-making workshop facilitation
- Corporate gifts and awards (including message sticks)
- Exhibiting artist
- Public Art
- Cultural Image Design
Influences Roque’s biggest influences being his uncles who taught him to make traditional spear, woomera and didgeridoo. Roque’s totems are pelican and goanna, and he paints, sculpts and crafts from the environment and depicts the knowledge and stories passed on to him from his mother.
Public Art Roque is also a self-taught artist with an established art portfolio, including public art projects:
- Freight Link Train
- Rain Tree Park
- West Lane in Darwin
- Palmerston Central
Exhibitions Roque has exhibited in the National Gallery, Darling Harbour, NT Museum and Art Gallery and the Telstra Art Awards (People’s Choice Award 2006).
Message Sticks & Welcome to Country Since 2007 Roque has been interpreting story through his art with the production of message sticks for the Darwin Convention Centre. He estimates that he has produced 600 of these unique mementos of the NT. Roque is often called upon to do Welcome to Country ceremonies.